Monday, September 23, 2013

Peace

September 19, 2013

WOW.  I guess I haven't been a very good blogger in the last few years.  Actually, I've been an extremely good blogger...  just not on my own blog.  In some ways, I am splintered by my blogs.  Different parts of my personality are reflected on different types of blogs with which I participate.  A veterinary blog, my clinic blog, a weight loss blog...  and here.  So I'll make some attempts to bring myself back together in one place, even if only for a bit.

Let's see...   since I quit drinking Coke...

I went through a major weight loss.  I mean, serious weight loss.  I'm down nearly 75 lbs overall, from my highest weight.  I've started running on a more regular basis, changed a LOT about the way I eat, and am starting to develop an interest in long distance hiking and backpacking.

Sometimes when I wake up in the morning and I look down at myself, I still don't recognize myself.  I'm a small person, petite in all ways now.  It's incredible.  And I work at it every day.

Last year I went on a solo trip through Yosemite.  Spent 5 days just driving around, staying in crappy hotels and being alone.  It was a fantastic trip.  I totally missed Steve and Vinnie but it was some sort of odd healing trip for me...  especially since I've always said I've pretty much spent my life trying to heal from my childhood.

Nature is my church.  I've never denied that, and as I get older, it seems that nature is tugging at me more and more in ways I never saw before.  For example, I've started gardening.   This past summer I grew about a dozen tomato plants - I'd spend every evening after work just standing amongst them, smelling them, talking to them, watering them, picking bugs and caterpillars off of them, feeding them, harvesting their goodness from them.   From there I started planting more vegetables and harvesting all of my own green onions, chives, bell peppers, etc.

Then I went to The Herbfarm up in Seattle, WA.  I can honestly say it was one of the greatest culinary experiences of my life, and it inspired me to start growing more herbs than just vegetables.  Now I have a garden full of herbs like sage, thyme, oregano, mint, marjoram, tarragon, chervil, rosemary, lavendar, etc.  I LOVE being able to walk out to my patio and cut fresh herbs and cook with them.

Again, this calms me.

And Life is about finding peace and calm, which in my world, equates to happiness.

I mentioned Vinnie above, and then I realized I haven't mentioned him before - and the last time I blogged, I hadn't gotten him yet!  So...  Vinnie is the newest, most lovable, sweet hearted little being to enter my life.  I'm totally in love with him - he's a chihuahua/weenie dog mix and just the sweetest little soul to grace my presence.

So let's see...  changes through gardening, changes through weight loss, changes through new additions to my family...  yeah, it's been a busy few years.

The clinic is still buzzing along, but it's work.  Being a vet is not my life, it's my job.  I've settled on that.

Steve and I are doing well.  We are still traveling all over seeking out unique and exquisite culinary adventures, exciting music and fun venues.  I couldn't have asked for a more patient man to come into my life, who accepts me and does everything in his power to make sure I am cared for and supported.

My next adventure in the planning stages is a back country hike of Yosemite.  I'm considering going with a company that actually plans these things - specifically for women - so I'll feel a little safer.  I'm still hiking PCT on a regular basis in addition to running which, to this day, is the only thing that really calms my mind and reduces my tendencies towards depression.  That and my herb garden.

Things that bring me peace.





No comments:

Post a Comment